Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Film

Hi everyone,
    I am new here but was led to this place in my search for a film made in the 70's about the San Fransisco Shamrocks.
    Ric Garcia is a close friend of mine and he would love to see this film again. It is a documentary of the SF Shamrocks vs. the Phoenix Roadrunners. A professor made it named Jon Wient or Wanette. Ric can't remember the correct spelling. It was shown in the Berkeley Film theater once but I have searched online for it to no avail.. The name of the film is "The Rocks".
    anyone having any info on this please contact me at my email addy.
    thanks!!

Jana

GO RED WINGS!!!

SO FAR I HAVE NOT FOUND FILM BUT I SEE A PROFESSOR JON WIANT OF YALE? BUT I AM STILL LOOKING, NOW I SEE YOU SPELL IT RIC AND HOCKEYDB HAS IT RIK SO WHAT IS HIS FULL NAME?
    I NEVER HEARD OF RIK BUT I MUST HAVE SEEN HIM PLAY AS I WAS IN SERVICE STATIONED IN SAN DIEGO IN 1978 AND SD PLAYED SF,BUT I WAS A BIG FAN OF KEVIN DEVINE AND I SEE THEY BOTH PLAYED FOR TORONTO IN 1971-72. WHY DID RIK LEAVE OHA AND GO TO QMJHL? WAS HE TRADED? I SEE HE PLAYED WITH JEFF CARLSON (ONE OF THE HANSON BROTHERS OF MOVIE SLAP HOT ) IN 1976-77 NAHL. ALSO THE 1978-79 SAN DIEGO TEAM HAD WILLIE O'REE THE FIRST BLACK PLAYER IN NHL WAS ON TEAM AT AGE 43. THAT WAS THE LAST YEAR OF LEAGUE AND O'REE AND RIK RETIRED AFTER 78-79 SEASON IT WAS NOT BAD HOCKEY TO WATCH AS I WAS FROM EAST COAST AND I MISSED THE BLIZZARD OF 78 IN NEW ENGLAND IT SURE WAS NICE TO BE IN CALIFORNIA.

Comment

Ric Garcia

Hi, thanks so much for answering! Jon Wiant is the professor we are looking for! He made the film in 77-78 called "The 'Rock's" about the SF SHamrocks. RIc is looking for a copy of it.
      His full name is Ricardo Don Jose Garcia. Yes he played with Jeff Hanlon, he has told me about him many times. I think he was traded to the QMJHL, as he got traded alot. I will tell him about this forum and he can post a note to all of you. You said you see Jon Wiant? Would you ask him how we can get a copy of the film he made?
      Ric would really appreciate it. If you want to talk to Ric himself I will ask him if I can post his e-mail address. He has started an inline hockey league called the United States Inline Hockey Assoc and we are looking for members now. He got involved with inline hockey in Oakland, Calif and is one of the most beloved coaches around. He brought hockey to this county we live in and started with a portable bumper rink at the fairgrounds and has managed to build a million dollar rink from nothing. The USIHA is a consulting firm as well and they assist in the construction, as well as running a new rink, along with getting kids involved with inline hockey. His approach to coaching is what makes him so unique. Coming from the streets of Toronoto, he knows all about the pressures and pain in hockey, as well as the love. His method of coaching kids gives them a sense of self-esteem that is not easy to find in this world. Parents have taken their kids from other sports just to have them in Ric's clinics and on his teams. He is looking for sponsers now to get this new league off the ground.
      PLease let me know if we can contact Jon Wiant somehow.
      Thank you again for answering me.
      Jana

Comment

SORRY I SAID I SEE A JON WIANT, BUT I MEAN ON INTERNET PAGE
        I DO NOT SEE HIM TO KNOW HIM SO SORRY ABOUT THAT. I LOOKED CLOSER AND HE IS A PROFESSOR AT JOINT MILITARY INTELLIGENCE COLLEGE AND LIVES IN VIRGINIA I WILL GET ADDRESS AND RESEARCH SOME MORE.

Comment

WELL HE IS AGED 61 AND LIVES 1O MINUTES FROM THE COLLEGE YOU CAN WRITE HIM OR CALL HIM, BUT HE WOULD HAVE BEEN 35 WHEN FILM WAS MADE, SO IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN HIM.

JON A WIANT
          112 GREENWAY BLVD
          FALLS CHURCH,VIRGINIA 22046-4005 LOOKUP PHONE WHITE PAGES

JMIC IS IN MC LEAN VIRGINIA

Comment

jon wiant

Hi Ric says his other film professor found the name of the professor, which is Jon Wient. He lives in Iowa. Ric is going to write to him to see if he is the same guy.
            Thank you for your help and research.
            I am sorry it was Jeff Carlson I meant to say..Ric told me that his trade to the QMJHL ended up in the Toronto Supreme court, but that's a long story.. DO you Kevin Devine's nickename?
            Ric told me it...lol... Thanks again..
            Jana

Comment

Shamrocks film

Jana--Finally signed on to Hockeydb after all these years and noticed your posting. Ira Rothstein controls the "Rocks" film. He is a professor at City College of San Francisco. I tried to use the film for a feature on Sharks Byte in 2007 but Ira said the film is in poor shape and grainy. I offered to transfer it to DVD through Fox Sports Bay Area (now Comcast) but he wouldn't do it.
              John Winet was his partner on the project. He currently teaches film at
              University of Iowa.
              I was the PR Director for the Shamrocks. I never got to see the film but have the poster and postcard about the film.
              I would love to get the film transfered before it totally falls apart. It is the only film record that exists from the 1977-78 Championship season, the last hockey championship at any level in the San Francisco Bay area.
              Sorry for being 4 years late on a reply.
              Len

Comment

Thanks Len

I am sorry that you can't get the film transferred to digital. That's too bad, better Grainy than none at all.
                I don't care anymore personally, as Ric ripped me off for over $1300 and hasn't made any effort to repay the kindness I showed him. Well, he has re-paid me by taking my money and not re-paying it.
                So much for friends like that eh?
                Good luck and I hope you can convince Ira to let you do the digital work before it's too late. I do digital video too so I know what you mean by it all.
                Take care and thanks for the reply.
                Jana

Comment

Shamrocks film

Jana--Sorry to hear about your dealings with Ric. I will continue to try to get it copied and let you know when that happens.
                  LEN

Comment

Working...
                  X